Melville, NY 11747
The paralegal position researches law, investigates facts, and prepares documents to assist the managing attorney by performing a variety of support duties. Responsible for the forward movement of assigned cases.
Our employee will:
- Researches and analyzes law sources such as statutes, recorded judicial decisions, legal articles, treaties, constitutions, and legal codes.
- Prepares legal documents such as briefs, pleadings, appeals, contracts, initial and amended articles of incorporation, stock certificates and other securities, buy-sell agreements, closing papers and binders, deeds, and trust instruments for review, approval, and use by managing attorney.
- Makes sure that he/she is up to date on status of each case assigned to him/her and that client communication regarding case status is also current (max 6 months between communications). The firms’ most important priority is client satisfaction. Each employee is expected to work diligently to achieve the best possible outcome for each client.
- Investigates facts and law of case to determine causes of action and to prepare case accordingly.
- Performs other clerical duties such as scheduling appointments, providing information to callers, taking dictation, composing and typing routine correspondence, and reading and routing incoming mail.
- Prepares affidavits of documents and maintains document file.
- Acts as arbitrator and liaison between disputing parties.
- Files correspondence and legal documents in office filing system.
- Ensures proper indexing and filing of original legal documents.
- Must be familiar with the Courts’ technical resources and able to use e-law.
- Works with existing automation to manage case load including normally scheduled follow ups known as Niblets
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) or one to two years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Paralegal certification
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Teamwork Orientation
- Communication Proficiency
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
- Business Acumen
- Technical Capacity
- Demonstrates consistently taking initiative